A day full of fun and updates...

I passed a beautiful day yesterday.
It started off with a "modem" update from my Internet supplier, through "Java" updates, Microsoft updates, AVG updates, Picasa and other programme updates....
Who could wonder if just one of these things went wrong....?
And it did!
Where, why when and which one, I couldn't tell you! All I know is that things got progressively worse, until finally - after having tried taking off Java and installing a new copy, which didn't work, I realised I'd have to take radical steps. The last time I had serious problems is a while back, and I finally had to re-install WINXP, then the SP3 update (without which there is no support any more) and then just about everything else that had been on my PC.
In all, it took me over a week before I was back, roughly, to where I had been....!
I had no wish, nor intention of doing that again, but something had to be done!
As a firm beleiver in "keeping my PC clean" and because my equipment is old and with very limited space, I clean everything on a daily basis, at least emptying the cache of the browser, the temporary files, I compress all images, I have a daily AV update, and - using C-Cleaner - I check and clean many other things including the infamous Register!
This means that I also delete many "restore points",  but I always keep a couple even although this swallows up space on the HD.
So....after much cursingand swearing, I used the "restore point" option.
You can find this, if you ever need it, in "Start - All programmes - system tools - restore points", and -  in general, it works!
It takes your system back to a point where the thing(s) that may be causing the problem(s) were not installed on your PC.
It does, of course, mean that those things, like Windows updates, will come back again, and you then have to take the decision - install or not....?
So action decided, it was taken, and this time, as I finally closed down the PC at 2am, I was asked to click on "Shut down after installing important updates". Decisions, decisions - but I finally did, and went to bed!
This time, the installation of the updates seemed to take much longer, and this morning - seems that everything is just fine!  Must be an optimist...!
If my experiences can help any one else out there, then just great, at least it wasn't ALL for nothing...!
I'm like that... If I've got something in my home, taking up space, money, time - and everything else, then either it works - or it's out of the windows....!
We'll see - wait for the next time.....PC life they call it....!





iwmpop(mrlemarquis)              -           Vauvert,France              -        Octobre 2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?