Quieter-here's one of the reasons...!

Google Chromium alpha for Linux. User agent: M...Image via Wikipedia
applications/8261-note-to-new-linux-users-no-antivirus-needed-needed    (Just click here to read the good news).

If it's quieter on my sites at the moment, there are various reasons. The above link is one of them!
Apart from fractured ribs, making creativity and typing suffer(!), I have also made the plunge into the world of "LINUX operating systems" and I've now got to figure it out!
Learn, learn, learn!
Fed up with Microsoft and Windows prices and errors and permanent updates, I did it!
Of course - I kept one PC working on WIN XP - just in case, but I hope I will be able to relegate it to the absolute necessary!
An immediate advantage of Linux, apart from the fact that it has everything Windows has but for FREE, is in the above link - no anti-virus programmes playing silly games with me and my equipment.

Google vs Microsoft  --ChromeImage by michperu via Flickr
Sure -you've got to be careful, as usual, with whatever you open or download, but in Windows, even with anti-virus stuff, you have to be as well!
An additional "moving force" for me is the fact that the upcoming Google Chrome
operating systems is based on the Linux idea - another reason to get to know it.
Surely - after having used only Windows for years, it's not easy, but then again, it's not SO different!
I'm using the Linux "SUSE", but if anyone else wants to have a go, then you can get a free installation disc of "UBUNTU" Linux - just go to Google search and look for something like "Free Disc for Linux Ubuntu" - they will even send it, by post, free of charge, to your address!
It also pleases me, to be honest, to put two (or more) fingers up to Microsoft!
After looking at, and trying to figure out, their new Windows 7 prices and possibilities, I gave up, and did the only thing a self respecting Scotsman could do, and started learning - LINUX!
I'll keep you up to date with any problems I may find, and if you're interested, you can contact me, by e-mail, to find out where I am!
Incidentally, since I've only used Google applications for years, I don't miss Microsoft, and Linux allows me to carry on using the excellent Google products, as well as giving me their own applications which replace expensive Microsoft products.  It makes little or no difference to the finished articles, so you shouldn't notice any changes!
All I need to find now, is a FREE replacement for my Internet connection, but I suspect I might have to wait a while - like eternally - for that!


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?