a year already.

  Guess what - yep, a whole year has almost gone round, already! http://www.halloweenhistory.org/ Not celebrated a great deal in France, except in those areas where many 'ex-pats' are to be found, I can happily do without it! I recall as a 'wee bairn' in Scotland, even my parents, Ministers of Religon in a very strict Protestant/Evangelical 'caste' permitted and took part in, celebrations within the Church premises, with pumpkins, apple 'dunking' various other traditional stuff, which even then I found to be stupid!
I think the real thing about Halloween is to be found here:http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Facts_about_the_day_of_the_dead
Only when I left those hallowed shores with the white cliffs...did I find out all about 1 November - in UK 'All Saints Day' and in Europe too, except mainly in Europe this is a Religious festival - secular only in the sense that the graves are cleaned and chrysanthemums (mainly) - to be bought outside the cemetries - are placed.


at Vauvert.
In fact, for me, this the start of what I call the 'month of the dead'
because from here on, the whole month of November is just one thing after another. 1st November then 11th November, the various War Memorials, and other things.
This link gives a lot of information relating mainly to USA and UK
http://projectbritain.com/year/november.htm

In Germany, the 'Martinsgans' (Martins Goose) brightens it all up a little, but, in general it is a dreary month held together with a dreary sky......!
I'm happy when it's over, but....who knows...maybe I should play the Loto in November.....?

Enhanced by Zemanta

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?