Internet's birthday......!

 http://www.nethistory.info/History%20of%20the%20Internet/origins.html
If you're reading this, it is because you are on the Internet, and me too!
Now don't be fooled by those people who say 'Internet? Not for me'
What they normally are saying is 'I can't understand computers, never mind Internet!' True - designs like the one above look compicated, but give it a chance! You'd be amazed at who uses the Internet and for what..... why, and how much they can save with a connection every month!  
Let me give you a typical example of every morning's events.
Switched on and checked my mail.(free)......read my local newspaper (free), wrote a letter to try to find out why my insurance was costing more (free), looked at a few jokes to cheer me up afterwards, wrote to my coffee company to find out why they hadn't charged me (I shouldn't have written that one)..(free) - went to my Bank and transferred some money from one acount to another (free) and checked the balances and any other monthly payments to come in March, sent a birthday card (free) did some research on the worlds biggest encyclopaedia (Google search) - Free......went back and looked again at my mailbox (free) and replied where necessary...got on to my Doctor to ask him something, (free) and started this article (free)......All this cost me NOTHING extra!
Writing and/or publishing to a larger audience becomes easier and cheaper.....maybe boring for people but there you are!
I could have gone to play games, or read comics, or a book.....but I didn't have time!
Don't let anyone tell you that the Internet hasn't saved lives either! It saved mine, and here is how:
3 years ago, I was 'video chatting' with a lady in Chicago from France (free of course) when I stood up and had a heart attack.....!
She watched me falling against the refrigerator!
Since she doesn't speak French, she got in touch with a 'Facebook' friend of hers who lives in France and does speak French. She, in her turn got onto the National French emergency number who directed the details to my regional centre.
The firebrigade and ambulance turned out, broke down the door to my appartment, treated me and took me to hospital.
One of the Firemen spoke a little English, and he saw the lady on the screen still watching, so he said to her in English 'he's ok, now - we're taking him to hospital -don't worry!'
And - off we went!

Facebook savebook?

Of course other advantages are present, I don't want you all to have heart attacks to find them out, but one is telephoning....I can call any country in the world for free, unlimited time, send SMS's, send people pictures taken 5 minutes before, and a million and one other things.

Watching or creating videos, long or short, becomes childplay, and creating designs - images- is a daily thing!

Just keep it going, keep learning and - keep it 'reasonably clean'......
We can all enjoy it.

The only thing you can't do (at least not yet) is buy the bread, whih is where I'm going now!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?