Drafts - and other currents of air!

You may ask (do you?) what the hell is this title?
Well, over a long time - almost as long as I have bored you with blogs - I have made use of the facility to keep articles on "hold" in the section "draft". My only worry was, and is, that I wouldn't find someone, anyone, of sufficient integrity and knowledge, to push the button "publish", when the time was ripe. Well, this article is one which was held for a long time on "drafts", and I have found the ideal person to push the button - MYSELF! I hope it may make certain OTHER currents of air clear to the one or the other. There are other "drafts" in Pandora's Box/Aladdin's Cave, which may (or may not) be exposed some day or other. They all have one thing in common with this one - they are all things I've wanted to say for a long time, but never had the time! Drafts/Draughty/Drafty who the hell cares? Here we go:
As a kid, in this life, I had little or no contact to so-called "great" or "grand" parents/family. My own parents (in this life) had too much to do with their "flock of sheep" to be able to occupy themselves with the " older " members of their own family. They didn't have the time to occupy themselves with their kids, so you can imagine how Grandad/Grandma etc got on!
Now - at the time, this didn't bother me too much. After all, if you aren't even aware that you have grand or great-grand, parents/uncles/aunts etc., until either your Mum or Dad pops in to tell you they must be absent for a couple of days for a funeral, you can't be expected to think about such things.
After the first of these occasions, I did think of these things - often - and even now I reflect upon the mentality of such parents. I think also upon my own mentality - but in particular, I think on the mentality of so many of the people I have to deal with nowadays.
Useful is a Grandad - for those jobs around a house. Useful is a Grandma - when one can't find a nanny/childminder. I never had a house nor children (at least not in the traditional sense) and this passed very well, for if I had been in possession of such things, they would not have had the pleasure of Grand'mas/G'pa's!
Now, of course, I am in the position of being used by many, and I use the word "used" intentionally, due to the fact that I have no children (traditional sense) seems to allow others to think I could be very useful as a sort of "free slave trade" member of the Grandad club!
I saw it going on around me all the time, and I never dared say anything!
A sort of "ignoring" of dastardly deeds, things which (if they happened to young children or REALLY old people) would be reported to the authorities. The problem is that these authorities tend to be represented by people of a similar age as those who perpetrate these "dastardly deeds!"
Now - I know, and have appreciated for many years, that a TOO inquisitive/nosy/involved person can be poison for any family, and the same thing applies to friendships.
For example, I am no longer mobile - for many reasons - and this stops me from seeing a lot of things and people that I would like to see.Out of simple personal pride, I do not want family/friends and just people in general, to be involved in my difficulties, at any cost, so I hope that all concerned will understand that my "standing" invitation still holds - should they wish, at my home, but they should not take my refusals of their invitations as snobbish/unfriendly or otherwise negative. It is quite simply that certain personal circumstances would not let me feel comfortable, for the present.
I have never been able to be the nosy Grandad, so, grant me, please, this simple wish:

Mr le Marquis, pleased to see you all, whenever, but will be unable to accept your generous invitations, for the present!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?