Detmold strasse


Detmold strasse
Originally uploaded by iwmpop.
This photo is to prepare you for a coming article about places we lived in. This is Detmold, Nord-Rhine Westfalen (Ost-Westfalen). Known as Kreis Lippe, I served as a British Soldier, and it was here I met my wife, Kate in the early 60's where she worked (as a part of the requirements for entry to Guy's Hospital Nursing College)in the Salvation Army Forces Canteen, and always saved me (so she said) the best bits of coconut flan!
Some 15 years later, be both returned as "civilians" myself in the service of the "Overseas Civil Service" and my wife as a Registered Nurse in the local Hospital. Her wages were around 4 times more than mine(!) and she got Christmas pay, Easter pay, Holiday pay - I didn't. This woke us both up to the unfairness of British Civil Services!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?