Last days in 2005

My last days in 2005.

When I woke up on the 24th December, I had no idea I was in for such a tiring day. Tiring and trying, but I suppose there were millions world-wide who had the same experiences!
Switching on, at breakfast time, just for a few headlines, I was subsequently invited to the German Bundespraesident’s house, where he wished me “Froehe Weihnachten” and “Guetes Neues Jahr”, to which I responded likewise.
From there, I shot over to the “Semper oper” in Dresden, where I had been invited for a few Christmassy songs.
From there, whilst my meal for Christmas Eve slowly cooked in the oven (Black and White sausages – “Blut und Weiss-wurst” – with little noisettes of baked apple and wedges of roasted potatoes, preceded by a simple Shrimp cocktail -a traditional menu for us.) I shot up to the North Pole, and got dressed up for my later labours (according to the kids in the street, I’m HIM!!). Found out that Rudolph had been a naughty boy, again, and was once more a “daddy”. I’ve told him to give it up so often, but he doesn’t listen. More alimony to pay, I suppose, and therefore a rise in his wages!
Having some time on my hands (nobody was at home in Holland, and I’d already been in Portsmouth some time before), I zapped over the South Sea Islands, passed through the penal colony at Cayenne (where I had already been many years before), whizzed to Paris, to see Jacques, then to London for Queenie, all the while Rudolph was popping his “droppings” seen by many to be attractively, wrapped-up presents.
I ask you, a trail, world-wide, of Rudolph’s droppings!!
Passing through Munich I was thirsty, so I dropped by for a bier at HB (Hofbrau) house, because I knew my next stop was Manchester and it’s gnat’s-p***, with which they quench their thirst.
Passing through Bristol, B’ham, Berlin,Barcelona, I finally arrived home in time to avoid upsetting “el Papa” in Rome, by switching him off, and feeling fatigued, I wended my weary way – to bed.
There being no room for Rudolph, I sent him off to the stable in Bethlehem, where I understood there to be room. I went to bed and dreamt of those poor guys who still had hours of celebrating to get through.
In the morning, up bright and early, with no indigestion, streets empty, silence – wonderful! Switching on again, I noted that “el papa” was still at it. Or was it another one? His twin brother, maybe?
I had a quiet day, watching Miss Marple and Poirot, who re-solved everything, but one has to watch – one never knows!
I watched all the goals scored against Pompey, in case they didn’t go in the net this time – they did, and Pompey stay second bottom!
I cheered F. Rotterdam’s goals ( out of loyalty) although I prefer Ajax, (it sounds much cleaner), and finally I was swept to a 2 part Christmas festival, laid on by my friend “Jack Frost” who has been living in Denton for some time, and who got himself clobbered on the shoulder by a sword-wielding woman not long ago. I thought I’d drop in and give him some sympathetic words, but I found him busy. He solved it AGAIN! I reckon that sword-swinging woman hit him on the wrong spot!
To round off the day, I watched the Titanic sink – 3 times!
And “el papa” still carried on………………………………..!
In about 7 day’s time, it all starts again, but if I see “Sissie” and Poirot “Death on the Nile” once more, I’ll scream so loud you’ll all hear me!
Maybe next year will be different?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?