Genuss-Plaisir-Pleasures.

(Click Title for French + German) ********************************************


With Christmas coming up, I looked at my situation, and came up with the following!

In German there exists a word "Genussmittel", which has no translation into French or English. It's not the only German word that doesn't have a translation (like "Heimat" for example) but this is one that has implications in today's debates. The Germans even have a law called the "Genussmittelsgesetz" applied for many things, but particularly for Tobacco, Alcohol, as well as medecines, or drugs, and of all things, COFFEE, TEA and other beverages, innocent, but harmful! The nearest one can get to a translation is "semi-luxury" (given in some serious dictionnaries) and this can be applied not only to my current position, but is quite a good way to appreciate things and save money at the same time!
If someone has a cigarette in their mouths,
or a glass in their hands, ALL THE TIME, then these things are no longer luxuries or semi-luxuries, but necessities, and the people appreciate them much less.
I decided, after listening to all the pros and contres, that to live an extra 5 or 10 years in the misery of a no pleasur environement, was not something I wished to do! There are moments in every day when the problems just of living, are so
great, that a little luxury is needed.
How to marry the lot together when money and health are involved? Well, I tried to use the German idea of "semi-luxury" and started to have my cigarette again, uniquely when it really was a pleasure. You know - after meals, with the Apero, even after "that" (which isn't often anyway). My apero, my wine, my beer, only when really longed for, and therefore a real pleasure!
Some of you are going to say - weakling! So be it, but a happy one!
Others are going to say - it won't work!
Sorry - it does work! I'm more relaxed, less stressed (and that's quite an achievement) and don't have to avoid people or places anymore!
I have nothing against heavy smokers or drinkers at all, after all, I was one myself for years, but I would suggest, even to them, that they give my system a go! It works, honest, and I appreciate the fewer "semi-luxuries" much, much more than ever before!
OK - it may need a little willpower, but that in itself is quite good fun, once one has realised what one is trying to do!
The next time I end up in the intensive care place (and like nearly everyone else, there probably will be a next time) at the Hospital, it won't be so difficult to give up - again!
Eat, drink and be merry, for ........!
The rest of the quote I'll leave to you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?