My new Server!


I wasn't doing anything particular, just messing around trying to find things to annoy others with (as usual), in particular my sister (who has blacklisted me!!), when the telephone rang, ripping me out of my lethargical almost 40 winks.



Throwing myself in the direction of the offending instrument, I got a voice in my ear, telling me that he represented some Internet Server or other, and just as I was about to say g** s*****ed, he mumbled something about "Why don't you stop paying France Telecom?"



My heart (or what is left of it) leaped, and I stammered, "Love to, but how?"



"We can help you!" said my benefactor. "We've bought loads of lines in your area, and you're one of them! Come to us and you can stop paying France Telecom!"



Now to understand my desire to do just that (for over 3 years), you have to understand that France Telecom is the original French variety of the National Telephone Company, years ago the monopoly holder of all Telephone services, then the opening of the market to alternative companies changed their world!



No longer were they the only ones, and therefore able to set prices, conditions and all sorts of things, but also their employees were semi-Civil Servants, with the usual "don't give a damn" attitude of all those who serve us in Governmental (Local or Central)Institutions.



France Telecom were (and still are) the most expensive in every single aspect of Internet or Telephony, and counted mainly on the "remaining faithful to our old National System" syndrom, that many people have.



I'm not French, not rich, not in a business where I can Tax offset my bills, so I'm always looking for some sort of "mini-saver" in all aspects of life. The only used articles I refuse to carry on my perfect body are used socks, shoes, underpants or condoms! For the rest, I judge them on their individual merits!



S0 - this was great news, particularly since France Telecom had just tried to charge me 20 euros for something which (according to them) I had downloaded from some "sexy" site or other (which I wouldn't do, knowing the traps and problems which await anyone doing so on the Internet-and in any case - at my age!!!?). Turned out that this "sexy site" was owned by - surprise, surprise, France Telecom!



I let my benefactor ramble on about free telephone calls, higher Internet speeds and loads of other things! I didn't tell him he'd won the battle simply with those words "don't ever pay France Telecom again"!



On top of everything, it turned out that my new server offered me all my telephone calls, unlimited in time,even to all EU Countries, USA (which I daren't use) and Canada (where I don't know anybody) plus my unlimited access to the Internet at almost 6 times the speed I currently paid for, plus a handy phone with 10 minutes time free per month, all in the monthly fee of 34,90 euros!!



This represented only 10 cents reduction from what I was already paying, but ALL my calls (which had been extra up till then), a free handy, faster connexions on the Net, AND NO FRANCE TELECOM!!



Whooppee! Game, set and match!



Now I'm on my new server, I'm just waiting for France Telecom to have a last bite at me (they have to reluctantly give up myself as a customer, and are taking the maximum time permitted to do so - but then what do you expect?)and then my telephone will ring, and all will be well!



Frankly, I hope France Telecom go bust! Not satisfied with all the cheatings, they still have the highest prices on the market, and are bumping up their monthly inscription fee from 15 euros a month, to 16 euros! If I was any good in mathematics, I'd work out that this was somewhere around 5-6% increase, and of course they won't hesitate to bump up a local cost price either - all those housewives who spend hours on the phone, chatting to the neighbour is too good a chance!



Anyway, for the moment, I'm happy, but I'm just wondering WHERE the catch is!



(mr le Marquis) iwmpop.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?