Hearts of Oak!

....THE "CUTTY SARK"- ANOTHER EVENT OF "MODERN TIMES"............

Just a few examples of photos I wanted to show you, if Blogger was working properly!
(This Cutty Sark is probably one of the most possessed - it's the plastic model copy, not for Chippie's- his copy must be real!)
I beleive this is what was called "frigging in the rigging", but don't quote me..........!

Certainly a magnificent sight, fully blown up!
Now for the facts of this morning!

So there we are! As of this very morning, the heart of oak has been destroyed, broken, suffered a coronary, and has been cremated! Ashes to Ashes, dust to dust, fire to flames!
The Cutty Sark probably is no more, or has very little left. Ironically, it seems that the wood was alright, but the iron was all rusty! Now, the iron is probably all that is left!
Once proud ship that sailed the seas, it's pointed part proudly up front, in advance, (just like my mate Chippie), it won't be sailing anymore - hadn't been sailing for one hell of a long time anyway!

Of course, my mate Chippie will be sad, but why? He knows everything comes to an end, someday or other!
In fact, this could be the chance of a lifetime for Chippie! With his accumulated specialist knowledge of sailing ships, accumulated over the last 80 or so years, he would be MY favourite to make a reconstruction (in wood, preferably) of this famous ship.
The Cutty Sark, built as a clipper to transport (in record times) the tea, so necessary to correctly run the British Empire, actually did transport fast, but this wasn't like nowadays, for the fun of it, and to make a new record. No - this was to be the first to get the tea on sale in the market, and therefore get the best prices. Unromantic isn't it!
It must have sold millions of copies - in plastic - I even had one myself (a bit gluey, and I think I stuck the front mast at the back, but it was recognizable, by me!) So all is not lost, but I suppose the people who take charge of these things must now be concerned that the others (like "Victory") may be endangered. I've said elsewhere that the HMS Victory, stationed at Portsmouth is a world wonder, all original screws and nuts and bolts already having been sold by the commercially apt "Pompeyists" as souvenirs, the question is simply how the thing stays together! Maybe they used "super glue" like I did on my model!
Anyway, I recall visiting the "Cutty Sark" many, many years ago, invited by my parents' neighbour, Bill Newton - who was a big boy in the London Co-op Tea Company, and I'm afraid I made rather a fool of myself, again, informing anyone who would listen that I preferred coffee, and didn't like tea!
This doesn't stop me from saying a respectful "Au revoir" to the Cutty Sark, once again victim of MODERN TIMES!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comments...!

Old, used balls welcome....!