Stately Homes.......!

As in all stately homes, problems occur.
The stately home of mr le marquis is being RENOVATED..... and it's a pain!
I've already posted a couple of photos on "vauvertvillage", but I'd better keep others up to date as well.
After 9 years of residence, the owner (not mr le marquis - he, like most aristocrats, didn't have the necessary to possess such stately things) decided that the time had come to act.
Being of "plebian" origins and manners, he did not consider it necessary to inform mr le marquis, who was therefore presented, on a Monday morning, at 0745hrs, with a couple of minions, armed with hammers and chisels, just like Michelangelo, who proceeded to hammer hell out of the ancient walls of the Chateau......!

Asked politely what the devil they were doing, they muttered something about "renovating"!
"We are cousins and things of the proprietaire," said they, and attacked with gusto.
3 hours later, after innumerable breaks and requests for water, I found myself imprisoned.
Impossible to descend, it's not easy to scramble over a meter of rubble, dodging large planks, installed to enable the workers to get higher - ever higher!
Since it was a Monday, I knew all the shops were closed anyway, and the postman never passes so I stayed - indoors.
Shame it was a beautiful day, around 30C - a little breeze spread the dusty rubble everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
Anyone who has had anything to do with French "amateur" builders can sympathise - it ain't a happy time, and Granite de l'Oasis (the commanding cat in the Chateau) was decidedly unhappy!
So the week progressed, and I was told that "it would all be great when finished". My question as to when that would be, was met with Gallic shoulder shrugs, and vague murmurs about 15 to 20 days all counted.
This will probably mean a couple of months....!
After which, the landlord, being wicked - like all landlords, will probably want to up the rent, forgetting that in the last 9 years, I've probably paid enough to buy 3 similar appartments elsewhere...!
Banks, landlords and Dentists - the scourge of modern day life.
I'll keep you up to date,if I'm still alive,but here are a couple of photos for the moment....

Comments