Old hunting grounds.....
http://www.viamichelin.fr/viamichelin/fra/tpl/mag6/art200910/htm/tour-evenement-mur-de-berlin-diaporama-archives.htm
Here - thanks to "Michelin" and "mr le marquis" is the link to a slideshow on the subject of the Berlin Wall, the 20th anniversary of it's downfall is coming very shortly.
I had the "pleasure" of being stationed in Berlin in the 1960's, and I recall "guarding" this wall and riding around the perimeters in Scout cars. Why - I don't really know!
I also had the pleasure in the 1970's and finally lived, as a civilian, in Berlin in the late 70's and early 80's, together with my wife.
The Germans say "Berlin ist eine Reise wert" (Berlin is worth a visit) and to have "Ich habe einen koffer im Berlin" (I have a suitcase in Berlin) is used frequently in German to show one's continued attachment to this City.
We left Berlin in 1982, well before the fall of the Wall, and I haven't been able, unfortunately, to return since, but I do still "have a koffer in Berlin"!
Berlin always was something special - one was locked in but with ALL luxuries!
A little anecdote concerning the famous Kennedy quote "Ich bin ein Berliner" - (I am a Berliner). This could be translated also as "I am a doughnut", since a doughnut in German is a "Berliner"!
Happily Kennedy wasn't in Paris, as I once heard a German say, because the quote would then have been "Ich bin ein Pariser" translatable as "I am a condom" (Pariser means, in German - condom!)
Here - thanks to "Michelin" and "mr le marquis" is the link to a slideshow on the subject of the Berlin Wall, the 20th anniversary of it's downfall is coming very shortly.
I had the "pleasure" of being stationed in Berlin in the 1960's, and I recall "guarding" this wall and riding around the perimeters in Scout cars. Why - I don't really know!
I also had the pleasure in the 1970's and finally lived, as a civilian, in Berlin in the late 70's and early 80's, together with my wife.
The Germans say "Berlin ist eine Reise wert" (Berlin is worth a visit) and to have "Ich habe einen koffer im Berlin" (I have a suitcase in Berlin) is used frequently in German to show one's continued attachment to this City.
We left Berlin in 1982, well before the fall of the Wall, and I haven't been able, unfortunately, to return since, but I do still "have a koffer in Berlin"!
Berlin always was something special - one was locked in but with ALL luxuries!
A little anecdote concerning the famous Kennedy quote "Ich bin ein Berliner" - (I am a Berliner). This could be translated also as "I am a doughnut", since a doughnut in German is a "Berliner"!
Happily Kennedy wasn't in Paris, as I once heard a German say, because the quote would then have been "Ich bin ein Pariser" translatable as "I am a condom" (Pariser means, in German - condom!)

Comments