The unknown debt of a Nation....

Idly listening to the German news on the ARD ( the equivalent of BBC news, but in Germany) yesterday evening, my ears pricked up when I heard a report about how the German Government had some good news to share with us.
 It was strange to hear, in 2010, that Germany had just paid the LAST installment of 70 MILLION Euros of the "WAR DAMAGES of the 1st world war" which they had been ordered to pay.
The total apparantly, in 1919, was 128 million "gold Reichsmarks"   which had to be repaid, and it has just finished!
The sum, in 1919 was immense, and since Germany was "busted, broke, no bread man" it was arranged to pay by installments, - of course, interest had to be paid as well, and I don't want to know how much interest has been paid since 1919!
I recall how much I and my wife paid, just for a tiny mortgage going over 25 years!
 The "victors" in this "war to end all wars" have been cashing in for almost a century! Strangely, they didn't say to whom this money had been paid, and I don't recall any other country in the world telling us that they had received it, not at any point in history!
That they did receive it is pretty clear, but I'd rather like to know what was done with it in the different countries
  Did they use it for the families of the "fallen for King and Country".......
did they use it for victims of  trench warfare......? Did at least a part of the vast sum go into the rebuilding of victims, mainly civilian  homes?
Just WHAT was it used for - who can tell us, and why weren't we told regularly that they had received the money and what was to be done with it?
It is a strange feeling to know that I and my Wife, both "British Citizens", have been paying, over years and years our Taxes in Germany, a part of which (as I now know) went towards paying for damages caused to my own country!
Seems strange - because We certainly never had any benefits from it!
I dread to think how much the "damages awarded" for the 2nd World War were! Nor for how long they are still to be paid......!
Strange again - nobody ever talks about it, and nobody seems to be informed....
  
iwmpop(mrlemarquis)     -     Vauvert,France   -    France 0430085056  -  (no mobile)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?