How to say thank you.

Chez mr.le Marquis du Galipot.

Temperatures 0830:7C 1300hrs:16C Night:5C Weather: Cloudy but mild.

Alert state: Normal.

In all my days at a place called "Campagne" I always noticed one thing. No matter what one did for the people who live there, you would never get a thank you ("Merci"). This was a word, as the yanks say a "no-no", and I have personally witnessed the head of the house struggle with himself, his mind wanting to say "merci" but his lips simply not getting the word out! I swear to you all -it really was a battle which lasted for a couple of minutes, at first I thought he was having some sort of stroke or other! Anyway, the word did not come out. Now this, I thought, was because they came from a place called "Campagne" (meaning country) and were therefore "paysannes" (peasants), until I put all the years experience with them together, and recalled all the stories about "high-life" in Paris. No - not peasants, just ignorant and impolite, from Grandma down to smallest! You learn to live with it!
Now, on the other side, my gardening work has brought me into contact with people who simply don't stop saying "merci", easily, fluid of the tongue, it just slips out - no problem! The age of the people concerned is of course much more advanced than at Campagne, maybe this has a lot to do with it. I know that the last 2 generations do not really represent something good or polite but even so - "Thank you" seems to be the hardest words, and not "sorry" - Sorry and thank you Elton!!
And now for something entirely different! Waccybaccy ALIVE in the snow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last chance for Christmas - today only....!

The Empire is dead...Long live the Empire...?